lundi 2 juillet 2012

SB4000 Quad VCA Part I : Populating the boards

Hi there,

Finally started my build ! Here is a step-by-step report. Before starting, I did a revised BOM especially for my quad VCA version, so I can rely on it during the building and not implement wrong versions of the components that change from the original version.

Please note that I'm a newbie, so if you see mistakes, or stuff that can be improved, please let me know. Also, pictures were made with my phone, sorry for the quality ...

- My board was a Rev 4.0, so I started by doing the phase fix as indicated in the manual


- I did install the jumpers specific to the Quad VCA version


- For R169 I read on the forum that it was better to put the jumper than the resistor, which I did


- Then I implanted all other resistors except R163 (see below).

- Here is a little tip. I personnaly forgot to implant JMP7 (I recommend 2 pin jumper socket not in the official BOM) during my build. It's necessary to be able to configure the Bargraph Display Mode and has to be jumped to have the default "bars" behaviour. Implant it at this step, it will be easier than after putting R163 and the 3 pin connector next to it.

- For R163 (the 100ohms 3W) I had to bend the legs a little because it was too large for the support



- Then I implanted all capacitors except Electrolytic and all diodes



- The sockets for the THAT were to be cut in two, and I also trimmed the remaining plastic using my DREMEL in order to make them fit nicely on the quad boards, side-to-side




- The boards with all sockets


- And all the connectors


- I had to implant the sockets which will make the connection between main board and quad boards. To be sure that they'll fit nicely, I put the sockets + pins first, then but the boards on them, and solder them.



- I implanted all the test probe pins. I have forgotten to order them, so I used jumper pins. It's not mandatory, but to avoid short circuits during tests I prefer to have jumper pins to be able to use test hooks.


- The regulators


- And then the Electrolytic capacitors




That's it ! So far I spent something like 6 hours on the project

7 commentaires:

  1. Nice work man I am building mine at he moment and with out your pics and blog I'd be stuffed ....thanks a lot Mike@MCS Recording Studio Melbourne Australia

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. My pleasure, great to know this still gets some use so many years after :)

      Supprimer
  2. Hi Vincent .....just wanted to know where did you get your SPDT on-on red push button switches, the power switch and flat Led as i'm having a lot of difficulty in sourcing them...?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hey !

      I'm sorry but I built this like 4 years ago, I have absolutely no memory of the details. Most pieces that are detailed in the BOM here : http://stereodramadiy.blogspot.fr/2012/07/sb4000-quad-vca-bom.html

      contain Mouser references, I think I bought most of them there. Maybe check the Mouser website and type in the references ? I think even when stuff is unavailable they give alternative references on the right ?

      Supprimer
  3. Found the push button switches Element 14...all good :)

    RépondreSupprimer